Metal Shear Restoration (Rebar Shear)

Share
Embed
  • Loading...
  • Published on:  Friday, August 10, 2018
  • This antique metal shear was used to cut rebar to size in construction site. It must have been left to the elements for a very long time since it was completely welded by rust. Probably my most challenging restoration just for how seized it was.

    The shear was made in France ("acier forgé" means "forged steel")
    quiet some time ago. I wouldn't be surprised if this had 70 years or more. All together it weights 30kg (66lbs).
    I am not able to find any interesting information at all about this tool brand, if you know better please write in comments and I'll update this section.

    EDIT:
    Ficep is an Italian company founded in October 1930 by the Colombo and the Giuliani families in Gazzada As "Fabbrica Italiana Cesoie e Punzonatrici" - Italian Shears and Punching Machines Factory."
    Thanks to Eric Mowrey, Λογος and Emmanuel Faure for the research!

    I just started to list some of the stuff I use for my projects in this amazon storefront:
    https://www.amazon.com/shop/blackbeardprojects
    It's affiliate marketing, so if you order something from here you'll help the channel for free! Thank you!

    Index of operation and materials:

    To disassleble I used a lot of penetrating oil, heat and elbow grease. You can't see me removing all parts in video because it has been a very long process and I wasn't able to record everything
    1:13 First electrolysis (to help me break down some of the rust and disassemble the tool): water and sodium carbonate solution, parts connected to negative, steel sacrificial anodes to positive of a 12V DC power supply (car battery charger). 3-4 hrs at 5amp.
    3:27 Cutting stuck pin to remove last components
    3:47 Drilling out old pin
    4:06 Welding a rebar piece to the sheared bolt to try removing it from the opposite side (total failure)
    4:35 Cutting shredded bolt
    4:45 Drilling it out from the inside
    5:03 Re threading the hole with M16 tap
    5:33 Trip to the car wash to degrease and pressure wash
    6:12 Electrolysis to clean metal. As First one but one piece at the time
    7:47 Removing rust from handle with twisted wire wheel on the angle grinder
    8:23 Painting with "Hammerite" "Dark Green Hammered Finish" paint. (Off camera I also degreased all part with acetone before painting)
    10:30 Removing zinc plating from new hardware with muriatic acid (nasty fumes and heavy acid, did outside and with full body protection)
    10:53 Neutralizing acid with water and baking soda
    11:15 Protecting uncoated hardware with synthetic oil
    11.30 Fabricating new pin out of a long bolt and two closed nuts.
    12:17 Grinding new edges on the steel jaws (frequently cooling in water to prevent tempering)
    13:00 Assembling with lots of synthetic oil
    13:55 I turned this jaw the other way because if I goround this one clean they wouldn't close all the way

    Without properly securing it to a solid bench (like it's supposed to be, but I don't have one at the moment) I was able to shear:
    15:10 10mm round stock aluminum
    15:20 12mm round stock brass
    15:27 10mm rebar
    15:35 12mm round stock mild steel
    I guess it can cut a couple mm wider stock if mounted properly.

    Thanks a lot for watching, I hope you liked the video!
    Suggestions and comments are welcome.
    Leave a like and share to anyone who might be interested!

    ★Patreon★
    https://www.patreon.com/blackbeardprojects

    ★Website★
    http://blackbeardproject.com/

    ★Follow me★
    Facebook ► /BlackBeardProjects/
    Twitter ► https://twitter.com/BlackBeardProje
    Instagram ► https://www.instagram.com/black_beard_projects/

    ★Music★
    Good for Nothing Safety by Twin Musicom ► http://www.twinmusicom.org
    Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution licence (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)
Loading...

Comment