Trade wars, explained

  • Loading...
  • Published on:  Wednesday, June 6, 2018
  • Complex geopolitical maneuvering explained with Game of Thrones and . . . googly eyes.Become a Video Lab member! can be used as a useful tool to protect domestic industry or to serve as a punitive measure against another country. But President Trump’s bluster and threats of imposing tariffs on foreign imports to the US have raised the specter of a trade war with China, and more recently, Mexico. The “weapons” used in a trade war are the stuff we use everyday — the food we eat, the cars we drive to work and the computers we use. If a trade war can have such a pervasive impact on our daily lives, why would a country choose to engage in one? And what even is a trade war anyway? is a news website that helps you cut through the noise and understand what's really driving the events in the headlines. Check out our full video catalog: Vox on Facebook: Twitter:


  • Vox
    Vox  a years ago +271

    Vox foreign affairs staff writer, Zeeshan Aleem (who appears in this video!) wrote about the widening gulf between the US and some of its largest trading partners. Read more:

  • Curiosity Culture
    Curiosity Culture  a years ago +2089

    It's amazing how a few powerful people on the top can impact billions of ordinary people.

  • Lashan
    Lashan  a years ago +1160

    If all wars were fought with googly eyes the world would be a better place.

  • Voneone
    Voneone  a years ago +407

    Life is just a series of obstacles preventing you from taking a nap.

  • Fire And Blood
    Fire And Blood  a years ago +580

    Unfolds Game Of Thrones map
    Me: wtf

  • Dan B
    Dan B  a years ago +610

    Putting Tarifs on Us allies like Canada and the EU is stupid and just makes the US more alone in the world

  • Chris Prouse
    Chris Prouse  a years ago +962

    As a third-party Canadian to all this, who majored in econ... I think what's most troubling is the pretence under which the entire trade war began; there's a huge "trade deficit", and something needs to be done about it. When in reality, a trade deficit is more or less just a ledger somewhere that says you're buying more from a particular country than they buy from you. So if you happen to live in a country where there are super high rates of consumption, with a constant hungry demand for cheaper and cheaper goods... of course you're going to end up buying more from other countries with cheaper labour, compared to what they're able to buy from you. I have a huge trade deficit with McDonalds, but that doesn't mean I can walk into their restaurant and tell them they should be buying more from my kitchen, just to even things out, lol :)

  • Iván Egües
    Iván Egües  a years ago +128

    China should tax the fake tan orange spray to strike back.

  • Ned
    Ned  a years ago +367

    Great video, but, please explain to me how changing country names to game of thrones names made any difference other than confusing it. On a topic which isn't even then confusing to begin with.

  • Deddiward
    Deddiward  a years ago +132

    And don't forget about the steel and aluminium taxes for us europeans.. thanks a lot

  • Masked Singer
    Masked Singer  a years ago +48

    This barely scratched the surface...

  • James Tang
    James Tang  a years ago +590

    I feel this "America First" policy when it comes to trade really damages America's soft power and already damaged credibility as a dependable partner after the Iraq WMD fiasco and the Iran deal. Imposing tariffs on US and NATO allies really hurts America on the diplomatic level. On the other hand, I believe many world leaders see this new "unpredictability" not as America's fault but Trump's and expect that once he ;eaves office, it'll be (mostly) business as usual.

  • michael bloom
    michael bloom  a years ago +71

    Trade wars
    "Who will trade for my cheedos?"
    "I got a protein bar"
    "I got 2 cheeze-it bags"
    The real trade wars

  • Van Hendrix
    Van Hendrix  a years ago +718

    America VS World doesn't look good for America

  • Dank Matter
    Dank Matter  a years ago +47

    You can't put a tariff on Canada since it doesn't exist.

  • Salokin
    Salokin  a years ago +107

    Anti trade nations are always doomed to failure

  • Legendary King
    Legendary King  a years ago +147

    How you know it was a laptop not a phone or computer? Blood magic

  • واردات تخصصی لپ تاپ

    In short: Higher prices always hurt 90% of people no matter where they are from and who they are! the rest 10% are the rich and wealthy who benefit from almost anything!

  • World History With Dan
    World History With Dan  a years ago +20

    When I think of the word war I think about The Great Emu War of 1932.

  • rifat abid
    rifat abid  a years ago +59

    When trade stops; war starts 🔜