World Famous Horseshoe Curve, Altoona, Pennsylvania USA - Virtual Railfan LIVE
- Published on: Sunday, January 13, 2019
- Actual start date: 6/20/17
NS Emergency Number: 800-453-2530
Amtrak Emergency Number: 800-331-0008
Welcome to Virtual Railfan, please read this important info.
This is a live stream of the famous Horseshoe Curve in Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA, for people who enjoy watching trains. You are welcome to join our family friendly chat, but keep in mind that there’s a community with rules already established. Please check them out below.
This camera is sponsored by: Railfan Depot. Please stop by and visit their website: https://railfandepot.com and like them on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RailfanDepot/
Visit the Railroader's Memorial Museum, with the main campus located in Altoona, and the RMM also operates this public area here at the Curve: http://www.railroadcity.com/
ALTOONA DISPATCHER FEED: https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/18962
NS Pittsburgh Line Timetable/MAP: https://bit.ly/2OgTXZS
Duplication or distribution of our videos is strictly prohibited without permission.
• Be polite and respectful
• Use English, we need a single language to be able to understand each other. If you’re not fluent, please use a translator such as Google Translate: https://translate.google.com
• Don’t post in ALL CAPS or use excessive emojis, letters or characters.
• Don’t discuss politics, religion, race, sex, violence, disturbing details about train or vehicle accidents, or anything like that. We try to be mindful of any children who may be watching.
• Don't use the terms "foamer" or "foaming" in your comments or your username. Many railfans find them derogatory and offensive.
• The conversation here is trains, and please remember that it needs to come first. Off topic conversation such as music, sports, jokes, etc. is fine, but it must be kept in balance with on topic.
• Please keep conversations of personal issues (medical, domestic, legal, etc.) out of the chat; take it to messaging or email. Remember, you are sharing information with hundreds of people, not just those directly involved in the chat.
• Don’t ask to become a moderator. It’s earned. If we’re interested in your assistance, we will contact you.
• Just be nice, it’s amazing what happens when we’re all nice to each other.
THINGS THAT WILL GET YOU BANNED:
• Inappropriate usernames
• Asking for subscriptions (subs)
• Being intentionally disruptive, creating arguments or any other jerk-like behavior
• Not following the moderators’ instructions
ABOUT THIS FEED:
Horseshoe Curve is the three-track (formerly four-track) railroad curve on the Norfolk Southern Railway's (NS) Pittsburgh Line, the former Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR) mainline, between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. Approximately 50 freight trains travel the Curve each day.
The 360 camera can pan the entire curve, when an operator is available. During the daytime hours when an operator is not present the camera is placed on an automatic script (program), which does auto pans from one predetermined position to another, but it is not capable of panning with the movement/direction of a passing train.
Amtrak's "Pennsylvanian" passenger train (between New York City and Pittsburgh via Philadelphia) passes this camera twice daily, once per direction.
There is an ATCS layout available, with server (data) coverage to the east of the Curve down in Altoona itself.
There is a radio stream available, see link above. You will also hear conversations (between the dispatcher and crews) from said radio feed being broadcast over the speaker at the Curve.
The engine on display is former PRR GP9 #7048, built by EMD in December 1955 in Order #5408, to Penn Central (PC) #7048, to Conrail (CR) #7048, then donated for display.
When’s the next train? Yeah, we get this a lot. There’s no schedule for freight trains, but some of our more knowledgeable members will provide real-time information when it’s available. Please refrain from asking.
ABOUT VIRTUAL RAILFAN:
Virtual Railfan currently has 33 cams from 3 countries. Visit our website for memberships, more free cams, and our own live chat. Thanks for stopping by, we’re glad you’re here!
Know a good location for a camera? We’d love to hear! Please email us at [email protected] If you have any contacts in the area, please let us know.